Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Decisions: Make many & make often!


I remember as a child all the countless possibilities for my professional future. I wanted to be an astronaut, a fireman, a cowboy, racing car driver and Batman. It never occurred to me that any of those were not possible. The realm of possibility was endless. At any particular moment I would decide that I would become anything I fancied at that time. I was excited. I told mum and dad and my friends what I was going to be and they went along with it. I believed in my heart that I could become what ever I wanted. There was no doubt or voice of reason telling me that I couldnt do what I wanted. When did things change? Was there a moment when someone said "You can't be the Primeminister, Grow Up"? When did I start believing that everyone is right, that I was kidding myself, that I couldn't do most of those things that I so whole heartedly believed that I could? Most importantly, when did I decide to settle for something less?
Most people lead lives that are so far removed from their childhood expectations. Why? It's because we buy into excuses. We buy into the opinions of others. We settle for mediocrity.
You see, the answer to a more fulfilled life is the same as the catalyst that got you where you are now. You made a decision. Somewhere along the line you decided to "get real" and get a "real job". Most people aren' happy with their "real job" and yet feel that this is it for them. That they didn't have a choice. It was what life dished out for them and they just got on with it. I can tell you now that I was in the same boat. I worked at the Bartter plant in many different positions of high regard. I gutted chickens, boned meat, packed meat in cold wet conditions, (which I now have arthritic hands as a momento) and did a bunch of jobs that weren't on anyone's wishlist for how to spend the rest of your life. I realised that I simply fell into line. This is the hand I was dealt and so be it. I settled! I clocked on at 5.30am like all the other sheep, I moaned and complained like the rest of them and basically spent many years being miserable. What saved me was that I loved reading, especially motivational literature by the likes of Anthony Robbins, Norman Vincent Peale and Brian Tracy. I read many of them and slowly but surely something started to grow in me. I started to resist the attitude that I wasn't able to do better for myself. To cut a long story short, It was just after a smoko break that I had made a decision to walk into the change room, hang up my coat, my knives and my beautiful hairnet and I walked out the door of the plant and to the carpark. I got in my car and drove home. I was free. I broke that cycle that had me chained down for so many years. The power was in the decision I made. I started to make more decisions about my life. I liked it. Real power. I could make a decision about anything I wanted. I could change my mind and make a new decision. The possibilities were endless. I could study and become what ever I wanted. It just took a decision and then to act on it. We all have that power. We can do what ever we want. We can better our situation. Don't settle. Don't listen to anyone that may undermine you. There are many of them and their thoughts are toxic if you let them get in. Become that kid again where the possiblities were exciting. They are exciting!! All you need to do is exercise you decision making powers. Make decisions often and change your life for the better.
Sensei Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment